Friday, May 04, 2012

Psalm 110


The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit in the place of honor at my right hand
until I humble your enemies, making them a footstool under your feet."

The Lord will extend your powerful kingdom from Jerusalem;
you will rule over your enemies.

When you go to war, your people will serve you willingly.
You are arrayed in holy garments, and your strength will be
renewed each day like the morning dew.

The Lord has taken an oath and will not break his vow:
"You are a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek."

The Lord stands at your right hand to protect you.
He will strike down many kings when his anger erupts.

He will punish the nations and fill their lands with corpses;
he will shatter heads over the whole earth.

But he himself will be refreshed from the brooks along the way.
He will be victorious.

A psalm of David

Notes: This psalm is quoted more often in the New Testament than any other part of the Hebrew scriptures. It speaks of the unique person of David's Lord who sits in the place of honor at God's right hand. This king will triumph over all of his enemies and he will join the offices of king and priest into one. Rendering the Levitical priesthood obsolete David's Lord is given a priesthood in the order of Melchizedek who is only briefly mentioned in Genesis 14. The writer of the New Testament book of Hebrews reflects on the passage in Genesis in light of this psalm and draws out the most amazing and wonderful conclusions in Hebrews 5-10.

11 comments:

Abou-ali said...

You Christians think that others will be found "under your feet" because of your god, but there is no God but Allah and Mohammed his prophet. The nation Islam is well over a billion strong and we shall advance Allah's cause through Jihad in all its dimensions.

Kirk Wellum said...

Hi Abou-ali... I never said that I believe that all others will be found "under my feet." The psalm is talking about all enemies being put under the feet of King David's Lord!

Julian said...

Abouali, I agree with you there's only one God but I humbly submit that Allah is a demonic concoction and Mohammed is a dead false prophet. Trust in Jesus the only way to the true and living God. God is love and unlike Allah doesn't ask His people to die for Him but sends His Son to die for His people. Repent.

Aaisha said...

Julian, you have no authority to say Allah is "a demonic concoction." How cocky of you! I know lots of lovely Muslims who have strengths us Christians don't possess. If I send a plate of brownies over to my Muslim neighbour she will always send it back over-filled and with an invitation to dinner. What Christian ever does that. Imagine if I said, "I humbly submit" you're judgmental.

Julian said...

Aaisha, nice try: playing the "you're judgmental card." I'm a Pastor simply affirming my opinion based on the Bible. Why get so offended when I'm declaring the gospel?

Aaisha said...

Julian, I can't believe you're a pastor to talk this way. You are the reason I choose not to explore your Christianity. You have no honour.

Julian said...

Aaisha, let's face it you're being illogical. Your arguments are merely emotional with no logical support.

Derek said...

Aaisha, you've rebuked Julian for voicing a truth he believes, but you've had no rebuke for Abou-ali's treat to "advance Allah's cause through Jihad in all its dimensions". And you're accusing Julian of being "judgmental" and having "no honour"?

Julian said...

Aaisha I agree with Derek, you're the one who is judgmental and dishonurable. Shame on you for siding with a Muslim who has a false god, a false prophet, and a false religion. Repent and fight the good fight of the faith against it.

Aaisha said...

I can't believe this insensitivity! I'm sure your Jesus wouldn't talk in this manner. I object to the way you hurt people's feelings including mine.

Julian said...

Aaisha, I rebuke you in the name of the Lord. Turn or burn. Repent!